EXPRESS ENTRY INVITATION TO APPLY
Express Entry Invitation to Apply For Permanent Residency
Express Entry candidates who receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residence have had their proficiencies and potential to succeed assessed and approved by the government of Canada. As such, they and their accompanying dependent family members are given the opportunity to begin a new life in Canada.
About the Invitation to Apply for Canadian Permanent Residence
IRCC issues an Invitation to Apply to all candidates in the Express Entry pool that are selected for Immigration to Canada. Invitations to Apply are given on a priority basis when IRCC carries out a draw from the Express Entry pool, which comprises of candidates who have expressed interest in migrating to Canada.
An Invitation to Apply is not an initial eligibility to enter the Express Entry pool, neither is it a job offer from a Canadian employer or a provincial nomination certificate. The Invitation to Apply is an auto-generated letter sent to Express Entry candidates through their Express Entry profiles.
How Candidates May Obtain an Invitation to Apply
All candidates who wish to immigrate to Canada and meet the minimum entry criteria of a federal economic immigration program can create an Express Entry profile and enter the Express Entry pool. Candidates in the Express Entry pool are ranked according to the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). The CRS ranks candidates under the following components:
Core human capital factors;
- Skill transferability factors;
- Accompanying spouse or common-law partner factors, if applicable and;
- Factors relating to a provincial nomination or a qualifying offer of arranged employment.
- Former studies undertaken in Canada
- Proof of French ability
- Sibling possessing permanent residence or citizenship status
A total of 1,200 points can be obtained under the Comprehensive Ranking System, out of which 600 points are awarded for either a qualifying offer of arranged employment or a provincial nomination and the remaining 600 are awarded for core human capital factors and skill transferability factors.
The government of Canada draws candidates from the pool based on their CRS ranking and publishes the minimum cut-off score after each draw. The government also notifies the selected candidates of their Invitation to Apply for permanent residence.
Documentation required to submit an e-application
Candidates who receive an Invitation to Apply are currently required to submit their application, government processing fees and the following supporting documents:
- Valid passport
- Results of language test
- Birth certificate
- Documentation affirming work experience
- Police clearance certificate(s)
- Upfront medical receipt
- Photographs of principal applicant and family members
Depending on which program a candidate was issued an Invitation to Apply and the information provided in his or her Express Entry profile, the following documentation might be required:
- Canadian Education Credential OR Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)
- Official transcripts of post-secondary education study program
- Secondary education documents
- Letter of attestation
- Original letter from a Canadian employer indicating an offer of arranged employment
- Proof of family relationship(s) in Canada
- Marriage certificate(s)
- Signed Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union and documents attesting to cohabitation for a period of at least 12 months
- Divorce or annulment certificate(s)
- Legal documents showing changes in name or date of birth
- Death certificate(s) for former spouse(s) or common-law partner(s)
- Children’s birth certificates
- Adoption papers
- Proof of full custody for children
- Travel documents (non-passport)
- Certified copy of a certificate of qualification in a skilled trade occupation issued by a Canadian provincial/territorial authority
- Proof of settlement funds
- Copies of work contracts and/or pay stubs
- Documents relating to income taxation
The 90-day deadline
The Invitation to Apply is only valid for 90 days and candidates are expected to submit their application along with their supporting documents within this time period. IRCC has indicated that no extensions will be granted. Due to this short validity span, candidates are encouraged to start preparing their documents before receiving an Invitation to Apply for Canadian permanent residence. If a candidate misses the 90-day deadline, he or she will have to re-create a profile to re-enter the Express Entry pool.
Misrepresentation is the submission of false information by a candidate. Depending on the nature and severity of the false information, a candidate may receive penalties for misrepresentation. This is to ensure that candidates provide truthful, honest and complete information when applying for permanent residency in Canada. Additionally, the collection of authentic and complete information ensures the integrity of the Canadian immigration programs.
A potential client who is found to culpable of misrepresentation could risk being banned from re-entering the Express Entry pool for five years. As such it is very important to provide only truthful and correct information.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all information provided is honest and that supporting documents are authentic. An applicant could be found to have misrepresented his or application, whether or not the act was intentional.
Examples of misrepresentation may include:
- An applicant asks a relative or friend to obtain information in support of an application. The information provided by the applicant’s representative turns out to be false and the applicant claims to be unaware of the inaccuracy. Nonetheless, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all information provided in the application and supporting documents is correct. The application could still be unaccepted for misrepresentation although the applicant was not the one who fabricated the evidence.
- If a candidate states that he or she has never been convicted of a crime, but a criminal background check states otherwise; this is a direct misrepresentation.
The breadth of misrepresentation is not limited to these cases. In the instance of possible misrepresentation, the applicant will be given the chance to address raised concerns about his or her application.
Accepting an Invitation to Apply
The Invitation to Apply is valid for 90 days after being issued within which time, candidates are supposed to submit a thorough and factual application along with all supporting documents. The submission of the complete application is considered the acceptance of the invitation.
Once all fields of the documents are filled, uploaded and completed, applicants are offered the choice to submit the application. The choice to submit will not be available until all aspects of the application are completed. An auto-generated Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) will be sent out once the file is submitted. The submitted application will be assessed by IRCC to determine whether or not it is complete and eligible. IRCC strives to process all applications with within six months of submission.
Expiration of an Invitation to Apply
All invitations to apply expire after 90 days of being issued. Candidates who do not decline their invitation or do not submit an application within 90 days but still wish to immigrate to Canada will have to recreate and resubmit an Express Entry profile into the pool again to be considered in future rounds of invitation. Candidates must still meet the minimum criteria for one of the federal economic immigration programs.
Declining an Invitation to Apply
If a candidate refuses an Invitation to Apply his or her application is placed back into the pool to be considered for future draws, as long as they still meet the minimum requirements for one of the federal economic immigration programs.
Declining an Invitation to Apply does not affect your chances of receiving future invitations. However, there is no guarantee that you will receive another Invitation to Apply at a later date.
For more information on these categories, kindly contact us at [email protected] or through the other avenues on our contact us page.